Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Doctor will see you now


Every Halloween my dear friends like to pick a theme for their costumes. This year it was “Dr. Who” (and this, of course, led to the holiday being re-branded as “Wholoween”). More after the jump


I’ve mentioned before that I work with an improv comedy show. On Halloween most of the audience comes in costumes, which makes for an interesting show. After the show there is always a period of hanging around and chatting; and I used this opportunity to grab some shots of my friends.
I had two speedlights set up on 8’ stands – which I had used during the show proper. For these post-show shots I knew I’d have to take a lot of different set-ups; so being able to change fast and on the fly was paramount. That meant nothing fancy – just bare lights on stands, and hope for the best. The theatre is a nice space, tho not necessarily for these kinds of pictures – so I just did my best to keep the backgrounds as clean as possible.
Hard light is what it is, and I typically try to avoid using it. But it is Halloween after all; so hard dramatic light works. I kept one flash at 1/8th for my main light and the other at 1/16th for fill (or background light for the seats). Feathering one or the other allowed me to balance both depending on who I was shooting. And when I only needed one I could just turn the other away (again, speed & flexibility (rather than conserving battery power) were the key). Shot a lot of pictures in less than 30 minutes – mostly singles but various group shots as well. Here are some of my favs:

Doctor 10

Dr. Malcolm X

I wear a fez now; fezes are cool.

I wear a fez now...

Torchwood

Torchwood

Sexy Dalek

Sexy Dalek

Amy Pond

Amy Pond

Rose

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment