Saturday, August 20, 2011

Low Water


The boys from Low Water were in town this weekend to do a show… and as always that meant I nagged them to let me take some pe’otos. More after the jump…

Friday night at the venue, a hipster bar not far from where I live. The very top floor of the building is the apartment of the owner (?) that also serves as a “green room” for some of the performers. About 10 minutes before the boys did their set. Found a patch of white wall, threw the Lumiquest III on a SB800 and either hand-held it or used one of the guys as a VAL. About as quick and dirty as it gets.
John
John

Turner
Turner


Joe
Joe


Next day, Chief & Joe stopped by my apartment for a bit so I managed to harangue them both to sit in the “studio” (giant grain of salt, because that means the 9’ white seamless set up in the back of my living room). Started by using the AB1600 with a beauty dish and booming it up overhead. Small apartment, low ceilings, light bouncing all over the place= least most interesting light ever. Quickly scrapped that idea and went with the 50 inch softbox. Suddenly there’s math involved, and I hate that. Got the softbox in as close as I could to get the background as dark as possible. I’ve got all of two feet between Chief and the background, so I put on my 80-200 and got as far back as I could. Gotta compress that background. Hope for just a bit of luck…


Chief

Chief

Joe was bouncing with nervous energy and picked up these two oversize stainless steel ball bearings I have on my desk. I’ve said it before, it’s an organic process so we decided to go with it. I grabbed a jacket out of my closet to cover up his choice of summer-time ‘beater shirt. I don’t really know what these pictures are (other than odd), but I kinda dig ‘em.
Joe


Typically I like to wrap up these posts with some kind of moral; something approaching a take-a-way. This time I’ve got nothing. I choose to consider this very zen. Or lazy. You decide.

End of line.

No comments:

Post a Comment